Recipe by Jen Bates for Wyman's
For the Blueberry Jam Filling:
● 1 cup (136g) Wyman’s Wild Blueberries
● 1 tsp cornstarch
● 2 tsp sugar
● 1 tsp lemon juice
For the Cookie Dough:
● 1 cup (100g) chopped pecans
● 1 cup (227g) butter, cool
● 2⁄3 cup (80g) confectioner’s sugar
● 1 tsp vanilla
● 1 tbsp milk
● 2 cups (284g) all purpose flour
● 1⁄2 tsp salt
● 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
● Extra confectioner’s sugar for rolling
● Optional: Wyman’s Wild Blueberry Powder
- Blueberry Jam Filling: Mix the Wyman’s Wild Blueberries, cornstarch, and sugar in a pan. Allow to come to a gentle simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes until thickened. Mash the berries as they cook. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Scoop into a bowl and set in the refrigerator to firm up.
- (Optional) In a pan lightly toast the pecan pieces until just beginning to smell toasted. Allow to cool.
- In a food processor, chop the pecans until a fine powder. To the pecans add the butter, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla. Process until well combined and mixture is light and fluffy. Add the milk, flour, salt, and baking soda and pulse till a dough just starts to firm. Scrape into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until cool and firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll the dough into 11⁄2 - tablespoon sized balls (just over 1 inch diameter). Cut each ball in half, and using your thumb, make an indent in the cut sides. Spoon a small amount of jam into one cut side indentation and then gently re-roll the ball to seal the edges. Place the filled cookies on the backing sheet about 1 inch apart. Refrigerate again until cool and firm.
- Prepare a quart sized bag or large bowl with confectioner’s sugar. Optionally, add 1 tbsp of Wyman’s Wild Blueberry powder to the confectioner’s sugar for additional blueberry flavor.
- Bake the cookies for about 17-19 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cool just until they are able to be handled and gently roll in the confectioner’s sugar then place on a cooling rack to cool completely.